Tips for staying happy and healthy 💚

Happy new years everyone!

We all know that money alone can’t make you happy. So what are your tips for staying happy and healthy in 2020 and beyond!

Let’s build a positive community of financially secure, healthy and happy Pynksters all together! :green_heart::earth_africa:

5 Likes

So heres mine. Some of which are pretty obvious :smiley:

Eat less meat & eat more vegetables.

Move more - don’t take the car when you can walk, buy an activity tracker and try to increase your movement by a little every day.

Be good to others and they will be good to you - to paraphrase a quote from JM Barrie “Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.” Just making a concerted effort to always try to be positive and make others happy will surely improve your own life.

Sleep more! 8 hours a day!

7 Likes

Yes @Al_Wallace, some of those are obvious, but we need to remind ourselves to do them. It’s the simple things in life that help us improve. I try to remember “don’t sweat the small stuff” . Always look for the silver lining and you can turn many negatives into positives. Find something to smile about every day :blush:

4 Likes

Also…vitamins D and B12. Take those every day because unless your diet is really on point nutritionally you’ll be low or deficient in those!

5 Likes

@Al_Wallace - I take those also, 2 capsules a day keeps me on the level - especially in the winter Vit D is key, don’t know what I would do without them. Also take iron supplements but not sure if they do much tbh!

3 Likes

This is a thing that i usually do as the summer approaches…let’s say from mid March…beginning of April.
I keep on doing 100 pushups and 100 abs every morning as i wake up. In August here to me is already too hot to keep on doing this.
So far these few months of consistent morning training gives me a pretty good physical and mental boost.

3 Likes

So I’m a wellness coach by day… I surprise myself that it’s taken me a while to respond to this thread.

From my years of experience and training, I believe there is one key thing that makes the most difference for happiness and well-being. I don’t want to say this lightly, and I realize it might sound like pseudo-psychological gobbledygook, but bear with me. That one thing is living in alignment with your deepest values. I wholeheartedly believe 3/4 of any kind of personal coaching is helping the person uncover their top values for themselves. After that, how to live becomes an easier question to answer – i.e., doing whatever brings you closer to those values, and most times, eating better, exercise, meditation, other habits support whatever it is that brings us closer to our values.

Otherwise, I’m happy to share info and ideas on habit change, but I’ll always suggest asking yourself “Why?” before asking “How?”

7 Likes

So i’m curious…and I’m going to start by making a small assumption if you’ll forgive that. I’m guessing that most of your clients are reasonably wealthy @Thewseph ? So I’m curious about your thoughts on the old cliche "money can’t buy happiness’ I’ve always kinda thought that was BS andd probably thought up by somebody who had never really experienced poverty.

Money can provide access to better health care, more nutritious/ better quality diet, not to.mention all the little luxuries that can offer a person some contentment. I completely realise it’s not the fix all cure for everything of course but what do you think?

3 Likes

Good questions. I’ll answer them to the best of my ability.

I work at a large healthcare company and my service is available to all of our members (which includes both privately insured through their employer to publicly insured with Medicare/Medicaid). In other words I work with people of all walks of life, from low-income, on public assistance and with disabilities and mental illness to executives and techies who make exorbitant amounts of money.

I can confidently say, anecdotally - from my experience, money doesn’t buy happiness or health. More importantly, there’s research on this. I’ve worked with plenty of people with lots of resources at their disposal who are ungrateful about all that opportunity, or otherwise who have a lot of difficulty managing their health, stress, and personal life.

As far as money is concerned, the best predictor of a population’s health is not GDP. Instead, a narrower distribution of wealth, that is a smaller amount of very poor and smaller amount of very rich people and smaller gaps between classes, is a better predictor of health and social well being. Oppositely, a wider distribution of wealth, with larger gaps between the wealthy and poor and larger gaps between classes, increases risks of chronic disease, mental illness, risky behaviors (unprotected sex, addiction, gambling), crime and other social issues. Please don’t take my word for it and quote me. Check out “The Broken Ladder” by Keith Payne for a good overview and sources of research backing this up.

The other point I’ll make refers back to my original post, which is values, more specifically a life with meaning, connection and purpose. Another anecdote, not my own comes from another research based book called “Life on Purpose” by Victor Strecher. In it he describes people from countries with some of the lowest GDPs having the most joy, happiness, and life satisfaction. He says overwhelmingly, that is because they are more connected to the community around them or a life of purpose. He also cites research that backs up his claim.

That’s why I highly recommend connecting with your values to figure out what’s important to you. No matter where you live, how much money you have, and the amount of inequality in your community, building a life with meaning and purpose is accessible to you. Hopefully, on the financial end, companies like Pynk can help continuing to open the doors to additional access to resources.

7 Likes

Great answer Matt thanks…perhaps im looking at it too simplistically, applying the parameters of my own environment too much.

Purpose. I think that’s a key word here. We’ve all heard that story about the guy who retires and starts slowly fading away, a life without purpose having an affect on his physical and mental well-being.

I think it’s absolutely key to staying healthy and happy. Having focus and purpose in life.

Working towards a fairer, more inclusive financial world seems like a great place to start too :smiley:

4 Likes

:+1: your curiosity to learn is more important than how you were previously thinking about. Just by asking the question your thinking has changed, I’m sure (constant beta, as @ZackofPynk might say :wink:).

It’s a common assumption that Wellness Coaching is a rich person’s service. The way I see it, if my profession lives up to it’s promise (improving quality of life and reducing the social cost of chronic disease) it must be accessible to anyone who’s interested. I don’t feel in good conscience to charge people $150-200/hour because that’s not a model that will have a broad impact.

I realized I left out a couple caveats: being financially poor doesn’t necessarily make you more happy (if that felt implied it wasn’t intended). The argument in the book on purpose was that lower economic resources sometimes sets the stage for a community where more resources are more evenly distributed and people are more connected by the necessary give/receive that supports the whole community. I’m sure there are communities that are in separate need for more resources to be able to thrive. (I have little first hand experience in this realm. The “low income” people I work with still exist within a U.S. standard of living. So, if someone with more experience sees I’m missing something, please chime in.)

The other thing is, while money doesn’t buy happiness it does afford people a higher standard of living. Both Factfulness by Hans Rosling and Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker illustrate how financial growth increases access to healthcare, education (particularly for girls), increases lifespan, reduces infant mortality (which also reduces birthrate). So, it definitely increases quality of life, and all those measures are historically improving. It just doesn’t mean people will be happier or have an increased sense of life satisfaction and well-being.

5 Likes

So I suppose to go back to the original question - can money buy you happiness? Well, I suppose the answer must be yes but with the ‘can’ underlined and in bold. It can in the sense that it can provide opportunities you potentially never had but that, as with anything its a small part of the puzzle and, to broaden the analogy, that piece doesn’t necessarily fit every puzzle…Still think the phrase was made up by a rich dude though :joy:

6 Likes

Absolutely Matt.

I believe depression is often our mind and body telling us we’re failing to make choices that are in alignment with our values. Tricky that the chemicals released then make it harder to do so and turn things around.

Here’s some of what I’ve learned in my time so far. I’m not saying I achieve all of this but when I find myself on the wrong track I remind myself of this stuff. Much of this is repetition of course as we all know and recognise the important things in life.

• Lots of water, eat tons of variety of fresh plants and sunlight
  • Movement and physiology - keep moving however you can, pushing yourself, practice good posture and SMILE!
  • Make sure you’re helping others as it’s hard to be down and depressed when you do so - selflessness can be selfish but everyone wins
  • Have goals and make sure you’re moving towards them… while also accepting and enjoying where you’re at right now - the journey is often more important than the destination
  • Be grateful every day - it’s very rare to have your worst day ever, and it’s even rarer for it to be the worst day anyone’s ever had. Almost impossible in fact.
  • Expose yourself to mental and physical challenges, bacteria, dirt, extremes of temperature, challenges to your immune system and regular fasting. If you avoid all this you’re going to struggle to fight off disease
  • When something sucks, change it. If you can’t yet, learn how to. If you never can, accept it and do what you can to deal with it and make the most of everything else
  • Meditation and yoga - both teach acceptance of pain and truly help you to move towards contentment and away from constant distraction, noise and yearning
  • Make time every day for people close to you, and…
  • Make actual, regular physical contact with the planet we live on and with the people close to you. Not just talking or walking in the park (although those are great). Actual physical contact. Like swimming in the ocean, touching the earth barefoot, hugging, kissing, whatever. I believe we send and receive pheromones, chemicals, whatever, that are critical to good health.
  • Spend a little time every day inspiring yourself… read biographies and groundbreaking books, listening to podcasts, great art of all kinds, checking out timeless quotes and jokes
  • Learn new skills and make stuff instead of just consuming it!
  • Once you have the essentials, don’t use money to keep buying more things, prioritise making memories instead
  • Remember your life will be over in a flash and it gets faster every day, so make the most of it!
9 Likes

@Al_Wallace I think money is a necessity, and as we evolve we’ll move away from the physical aspect of money into a notion based on value and experience. More of what our granparents believed to be sacred. Belief, family, friends and community. I see old fashion values being updated everywhere at the moment.

Technology has unwittingly, been dressed up as an improvement to old, antiquated methods and ideologies, but we’re really just simplifying a world that has become irrational as repeatedly following negative trends without eliminating broken models; long since ceased to be of benefit to humanity, is a definition of madness.

For example, the education system is based on a post-industrial model that peeked after the second world war over 80 years ago, and expired in1971 when the dollar/gold peg was replaced by President Nixon, ushering in the petro dollar. Nonetheless, we still expect our children to relate to this system which is all, but a rotten carcus for them to feed off. This system is self-replacating and dysfunctional… For many it’s a dystopian nightmare.

Dystopias’ are often characterized by an increase in the number of states whom seek to dehumanize various groups at home and abroad we see pseudo-tyrannical governments’ rising based on the false promise of utopianism opposed to totalitarianism void of freedom . Hence as of writing now we’re in yet another culling of the young and old.

However, contray to all this negativity I see promise for humanity, as this is just a necessary conclusion to decades of conflict based on nationalism and greed. A collapse is inbound , do we continue with these broken ideologies or group together to forge a better future? Only time will tell.

4 Likes

It’s been a while since i wrote some tip here. I have also another tip, but to apply this one has the need to detouch from the idea of being happy and healthy by phisical means.
YES! Doing a lot of exercise, eating right, being wealthy is part of the job to achieve happiness.
The other part, in my opinion, is to TRAIN OUR MIND to be consistently happy by looking at every situation or condition in wich we find ourself, from the RIGHT PRO-POSITIVE PERSPECTIVE.

This is not so immediate because we use to REACT upon the things happening in our surroundigs (i listen to a song that makes me happy…or sad etc.). So…wbat we do is to process an external input into some strenght we call LOVE, HAPPINESS, SADNESS…many many others. To me this mean we are PASSIVE to our environment.

I never liked that, and I believe we can also work the other way. So to me a consistent part of being happy and healthy consistently ( :joy: ) is actually to train our mind to find THE POSITIVE ASPECT even in bad situations. It is all about training just like any other part of our phisicality.

5 Likes

agree , biology is in Harmony to Earth with plants.

1 Like

Now with the lockdown going on in many countries, being able to get some sun and vitamin B12 is esscential, as well as some excersise. In my case I’m fortunate enough to live in a small city and even with the restrictions in place I’m able to go for walks in at a nearby park. We should not underestimate recreation and being in touch with nature as sources of overall health. :deciduous_tree:

3 Likes