The Economic Impacts of Global Epidemics (Influenza), Covid19 / Coronavirus

Very cool Map @Nordifnil, thanks for the share :+1:
Been a long time not see an ArcGIS map.

1 Like

Hi, @denzeletherio . Glad to have you here.

1 Like

Despite recent news that some countries intend to take additional fiscal stimulus measures to protect the economic system from the effects of the virus, the cost of gold is at its highest level since February 3. The number of CoVid-19 cases in the world continues to grow despite the slowdown, and investors are trying to assess whether the fiscal measures will be sufficient to maintain the momentum of global economic growth.

According to the latest CFTC data, stock exchange funds (ETFs) reached a record five weeks of earnings, according to a Bloomberg report, while speculative investors were net buyers of gold in the week until February 11.

Currently, gold quotes are seeking to update the maximum on February 3 at 1,592, on the background that the 55-day moving average rose to 1,532.90.

Source: ToolsTrade

5 Likes

An interesting graphic showing the relative contagiousness of COVID-19 (AKA the Coronvirus)

7 Likes

Air Pollution levels in China :cn:

Outbreak has a significantly effected life in China more than during the economic recession in 2008 according to BBC article :point_down:

6 Likes

Another effect of the Outbreak :grimacing:

:airplane::airplane::airplane:

4 Likes

@ZackofPynk , the question is ; where do the markets go after this epidemic? To be honest, I think we were heading into unchartered territory before Corona razed it’s ugly head. Best to keep eyes on the ball… Disruption is difinitely on the books.

4 Likes

I think that this virus unfortunately will be with us for a long time.
The one in Italy seems to be already changedin respect of the China’s one…and the vaccine won’t be ready soon enough to cause troubles in a way or another…grrrtt

5 Likes

Unfortunately I agree @Tradelta. It’s spreading here in the US now and cases are being reported where people hadn’t even travelled. It will get worse before it gets better. We have to believe the experts will get it under control just like on the past. The markets will recover, in time.

5 Likes

I was thinking right now…BUY NETFLIX!!! BUY NETFLIX!!!
With this thing that so many people will be forced to stay at home or in bed, can you imagine how much Netflix/Amazon Video/Disney platform will grow?

4 Likes

:rofl: way to cash in on corona mate! love it.

seriously though, what worries me is that it spreads to countries less able to deal with an outbreak. Where conditions will mean the spread and mortality rate will be so much higher. Fingers crossed the estimates are wrong and the virus dies out sooner rather than later. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

@Tradelta Buy Nintendo,buy Nintendo! :money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

4 Likes

Yep, I’m with you on that notion :+1: @Al_Wallace

2 Likes

I guess also any kind of delivery service company will grow at a faster rate. Who know how fast food companies will react?
In 2008 crisis, fast food companies prospered, selling cheap meals.
This time I think fast food chains will take a hit because people won’t go there to avoid the virus. But they could also maintain their profits stable thanks to delivery services…what do you think in this regard?
What other sectors could benefit from the fact that people have to stay at home much more time?
Should i open a separated topic for this…or it is ok to continue in this discussion?

4 Likes

A bit of good news on the virus. As long as it passes & Trump signs the ok ( and I think it’ll happen) this money will go a long way to help.

Update— Trump signed it----
Update 3/13/20…Trump declared an emergency and has now put $50 billion towards fighting covid19

4 Likes

Aa more people stay home, delivery services will definitely increase. We already have grocery, restaurant, including fast food, pharmacy, Walmart, Amazon…the list goes on. Online shopping will increase. Doctor on Demand services may see a surge as well. Companies will increase remote work when possible.

5 Likes

Panic selling to secure dollars at any cost?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-08/u-a-e-kuwait-stocks-plunge-amid-oil-price-war

It’s bad enough for the global economy, but tensions in the Middle East are already dire.

6 Likes

As of today, the NBA, NHL, NCAA and MLB (sports) are suspending or postponing games. This will have a huge impact on the economy. The G7 here in Pittsburgh got cancelled as well. Disneyland closed as a precaution. Schools in some areas are temporarily closing. Most of the colleges in PA are switching to online only for now. No students allowed on campus.
Prayers for everyone, everywhere :pray:

3 Likes

Last week I beleive we saw the decapitalization of risky assets the world over. Stock markets down, cryptocurrencies down, even gold has been somewhat correlated with the downturn. Seems to me the general sentiment is that the only safe holding is cash.

5 Likes

In the next couple of quarters I see Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Zoom Video, Google beating earning estimates by far becuase of increase in subscriptions in these past weeks. But will also will suffer further down the year because of the current shutdown will impact future offerings.
Also pharmaceutical & insurance companies will definitley prosper this year.

7 Likes