The Economic Impacts of Global Epidemics (Influenza), Covid19 / Coronavirus

As of today, the NBA, NHL, NCAA and MLB (sports) are suspending or postponing games. This will have a huge impact on the economy. The G7 here in Pittsburgh got cancelled as well. Disneyland closed as a precaution. Schools in some areas are temporarily closing. Most of the colleges in PA are switching to online only for now. No students allowed on campus.
Prayers for everyone, everywhere :pray:

3 Likes

Last week I beleive we saw the decapitalization of risky assets the world over. Stock markets down, cryptocurrencies down, even gold has been somewhat correlated with the downturn. Seems to me the general sentiment is that the only safe holding is cash.

4 Likes

In the next couple of quarters I see Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Zoom Video, Google beating earning estimates by far becuase of increase in subscriptions in these past weeks. But will also will suffer further down the year because of the current shutdown will impact future offerings.
Also pharmaceutical & insurance companies will definitley prosper this year.

6 Likes

Looks like your right there @mosigman, no one seems to know where any assets are heading right now and panic selling into dollars/cash until there’s more of a clearer picture. I think gold and BTC will surge as investors look for a “safer” haven after seeing the bigger picture maybe.
Looking ahead, I think the industrial sectors, especially in the US, will start to go into over drive as an attempt to bring back an industrial and particularly manufacturing base back to home soil after the realisation of the near total dependency on Chinese and Far Eastern imports showed a real problem when it comes to supply chains.
Maybe grab a good price on the big manufacturing companies at the moment?

5 Likes

Yes, eventually. I don’t think we have bottomed yet, but there will be a lot of cheap opportunities for sure, even now. Airlines in particular I think will bounce back quickly.

5 Likes

That’s if they survive…I’d be wary of investing in airlines right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a few tour companies, travel agencies and airlines going into administration if the current climate continues. My wife works for a small local tour company and its not looking good for them. Businesses just aren’t prepared for this sudden dead stop of business and who knows how long it will last for. Worrying times indeed

5 Likes

Amazon expecting quite a bit of revenue in near future.

On another note, I thought that Wolt, Glovo and services like those would maybe suffer from this situation even tough their services are needed. Because those people have lots of contacts with others and they aren’t under some control.
It seems they didn’t get hit so much.

6 Likes

100,000 extra positions in just the USA! This is the perfect storm for Amazon, every service it offers will be full on for a while that’s for sure.
The sad thing about this is the supermarkets running out of stock because if panic buying…when people could just order what they need online and the respective store will deliver their order to their door!
Nice find @predictor, it’s going to be the home delivery sectors quarter no question!

6 Likes

Sadly many small tour operators will go to the wall in the coming months it seems. The big operators however, will get government assistance, it’ll need it though as future business kind of demands it. I think in the US their sector is calling for about $55b in aid. The printing presses are in for a busy time peep’s :scream:

4 Likes

Thin edge of the wedge?

4 Likes

Netflix also cutted “Stranger things 4” :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

I self cutted after series 1. :grin:

3 Likes

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…
:joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

“Record 6.6 million people file for unemployment in the US due to the pandemic” https://twitter.com/i/events/1245702914703650816

Things are getting pretty scary guys. Stay safe. Stay home. Take care of yourselves and your families.

4 Likes

That’s 3% of the population of the US in a week :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

It’s going to get worse @Al_Wallace. More mass layoffs are happening every day. Thank goodness Pres. Trump relaxed the rules for those being eligible to collect. Our government is also issuing stimulus checks to the majority of the citizens, which will help if this ends soon. Sadly, I’m reading, it could be months.

1 Like

I did read a comment by a guy I follow on Twitter saying the figures were exaggerated because they include people temporarily out of work who are accessing the benefits system until they return to their regular work after (fingers crossed) this is all over. Know anything about that Karen?

2 Likes

There have been approx. 10 million unemployment sign ups in the past 2 wks. The majority is because of CoVid 19. (They don’t give a breakdown). Mass layoffs across the country are temporary until our country ‘re-opens’. Some businesses were able to file for and receive a waiver to open back up now, so that will help.

1 Like

My news from Italy is that everything is frozen probably until 15 of May. This will take longer than I could ever expect.
:sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

We in the US were affected after Italy @Tradelta. The US government says they were 'learning ’ from countries hit before us but I’m not sure they put those lessons into place quickly enough. We really don’t have an end date yet, but the Doctor who does the press conferences Dr. Fauci, told a well known basketball coach “we aren’t even at half time yet” . We all have to just hang in there and be as safe as possible.

2 Likes