Discussion: Where could improvements in affordable space access lead us?

Star Dreamers :stars:, this one is for you! :star_struck:

Many people in the 1960s thought that humanity would see crewed missions bound for Mars and keen researchers making discoveries on the surface of the Moon :waning_crescent_moon:. Unfortunately, reality fell short of expectations :cry:.

For the remainder of the 20th century, little progress has been made in increasing space access affordability. It was the beginning of the 2000s that marked a resurgence in the space sector fuelled by private companies. Based on recent improvements, sending a payload into space decreased from roughly $10,000 per km in the 20th century to an estimated $1,000 per km at present (by Space X’s Falcon 9). Space X’s Starship is expected to bring that further down to $100 per km. :rocket:

Learn more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZQ6jesORjY :nerd_face:

Bearing this in mind, where might improvements in affordable space access lead us?

• Which industries could emerge in the space sector?
  • Which discoveries could this bring about?
  • Which companies could lead the charge and in which space-related industries?
  • Which other sectors/industries could benefit from better space access?

4 Likes

Aaaaaaaa…I like so much this topic!! Thank you @RazvanPaun for bringin this in. Space exploration is for sure one of this and next century/centuries big industries.

Since my youth I’ve always been fascinated by space research, planetary systems, solar systems beyond our grasp , galaxies, superclusters and so on.

What I can say about it…for sure there are huge visionary minds behind the space research…you named SpaceX…even the Virgin company has a private space venture.

My thinking is this: are they approaching the space with the appropriate technologies?
Has humanity already reached its apex in knowledge with the discovery of the fire?
I mean, all the technologies availble to us are still a byproduct of fire burning. Even to travel in space we have not a better solution than rocket propusion, burning fuel.

Maybe yes, it is good to go from planet Earth to Mars or explore the nearby planetary systems but than? what do we do?
Yes, we could also find energy saving technologies and power the ships with solar panels but what happens when we go far away from the Sun?

In my personal researches in this field, some year ago I stepped into the Keshe Foundation which is a very controversial No profit Organization founded by the Iranian Nuclear Physicist Meheran T. Keshe.
He wrote a book titled The Universal order of Creation of Matters (definitely a MUST READ if you are interested in space exploration) i read like 10 years ago and his theory litterally blew up my mind.

Basically he discuss how we could benefit, by the use of Magnetic and Gravitational fields from the planetary systems themself. He discuss the tests he done in some decades of research in this field and why Scientific organizations should explore more and more into this particular field of knowledge.

For what I understood IF confirmed, his theories could bring in a brand new source of energy and many other solutions toward food and material production, health and all those aspects a very long travel in the deep space has to care about.

It is a bit controversial because it is not yet accepted by the scientific establishment but a curious mind can for sure take something good from it. The scientific establishment has always been very conservative and they are right in being so.

I am also the admin of the Keshe Foundation Spaceship Institute Official facebook page but I always try to be objective in what those guys do.
I can’t say to be 100% sure that THERE lies the final solution but I can say that THERE IS something in there to explore more.

So…to answer the questions:

Those who offer energy saving solutions for sure but space exploration regards EVERY field of the human experience such as nanomaterials, food, health, communications…you name it…

I guess many we can’t even imagine yet. One could easily be to produce materials out from the interaction of fields.

In health could be the growth of damged parts of the body by targeting just the damaged cells, potentially causing the extension of the life span.

In the food industry the possibility to sustain the body without the need to eat physical food.

SpaceX is the front runner private company but I hope very much that National based space agencies can implent TOGHETER some very advance solution by themself.

As I stated, pretty much every sector. Energy, material production, food supply, health, communication, travel. When you go to deep space each aspect of the human experience is involved regardless…and this is why space exploration is definitely the bigger industry of this.and the next.century/centuries. :grin:

3 Likes

I have to say, As a long-suffering son of a dad who was absolutely obsessed with space and science fiction, I’ve never been that interested in the topic of space travel - something of a little piece of childhood rebellion that never quite left me. Recently things have changed a bit though. I’ve really enjoyed the private sector getting involved with this area and, as it generally tends to do, the private sector has, as @RazvanPaun said, reduced costs dramatically.

I actually bought shares in Virgin Galactic a few weeks ago, right before this happened…

Completely by accident, I must admit but I had kind of decided that it was worth buying some shares in this kind of company, even if they make a loss or it doesn’t currently make a lot of sense financially, as I do believe they will be a great long (possibly very long) term investment.

As for the question of where this is all leading? I don’t really know. As I said, it’s not really an area of that much focus for me but I do really agree with Elon Musk. Elon said in an interview (I think on the Joe Rogan podcast) that he believes we need to get to Mars, build a livable base of operations and then, from there, start branching out further. Eventually this way, over hundreds of years who knows how far we could progress into space :woman_astronaut::rocket:

4 Likes

This is all a coincidence but I was on YouTube sometime ago and stumbled on a live video of the launch to Mars. Later, my nephews came to me for home schooling as usual and the wanted to learn about the solar systems. Their questions about life on other planets got me interested in this topic.

I think there will first be a manufacturing of space aircrafts and parts. We might see new inventions of special gadgets and outfits for space travel. I think another industry that could emerge is space travel. If all goes well and Mars is found to support life, transportation of people especially for research will be considered.

This could help understand Earth better in comparison to other planets. There will be a lot of discoveries but not many to supprise us if we have seen it on earth already.

I think Elon Musks company is the most effort. But I don’t think only companies will be looking to take the lead. I believe countries like China and Russia could use state institutions to take charge as well. They would focus probably on exploration, transportation, research and probably starting a new civilization.

For now, airline and agribusiness will be key industries.

4 Likes

Space exploration is quite fascinating! Technology has really come a long way. Traveling to somewhere other than Earth is mind-blowing, yet it’s happening! And not just elite astronauts
Regular, everyday people (with the $$$) will be able to take part in this.
Discoveries? It could be anything! Elon Musk, SpaceX. My question is where do we go from there? Don’t we have enough to deal with on Earth?

4 Likes

It seems like, as with most things these days, there is going to be a US/China divide on this. Did you know that China has over 100 companies working in the private space sector and, although not quite as advanced as SpaceX currently, one has to wonder what progress will be made there

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing this piece of info in Al!! Didn’t know China had that much private companies towards space industry!! …another divide…that sucks indeed…:dizzy_face:

3 Likes

World leaders could learn something from Pynk community about co-creation and working together despite our dofferences It seems! @ZackofPynk for President I say! :joy:

6 Likes

This only proves that the continuous improvement in our technology allows us to explore and discover things beyond our imagination and who knows, there’s something more that the outer space and neighboring planets could offer to mankind left undiscovered that would ultimately benefit all of us. :relaxed:

6 Likes

@ZackofPynk you already have two votes! It is a GREAT beginning!! :joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Make that 3 votes!!!

4 Likes

I imagine that you can look at :earth_africa: from space and come back to the ground the same day.

That is such an opportunity for tourism sector and see it as a first sector that enters affordable space. In the first years they obviously won’t have the capacity to accept all the people that would like to go :rocket: so the price will be very high in the beginning so only small portion of people can afford that. But later when it becomes easier and more affordable tourism can profit from short trips to space.

If an some drink company gets a place in the shuttle for trip around Earth it would also be very profitable for them to put that as prize for some contest, for example buy X amount of red bull and get a chance to get wings to fly to space :joy:

5 Likes

I cant wait to see the first selfies from common people posted from the space on Instagram.
Finally flatearthers will have their final proff that Planet Earth…is flat indeeeed!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Just jokeing guys…I know that Earth is cubic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I was also thinking about flat earthers hahaha
They probably say earth is flat but cut out so it looks like a circle :rofl:

Instagram would be on fire with all space selfies :joy: :joy:

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this should be here or in Elon Musk news!!! https://nypost.com/2020/08/08/billionaires-who-plan-to-colonize-space-live-in-a-dream-world/

3 Likes

I think there has already been a growth in companies launching satellites as the cost of getting payloads into space reduces. Especially as cheap, almost DIY satellites are becoming poplar for all sorts of research projects.

I have the concern though about space junk as so many satellites and objects orbit the planet, many of which are no longer operational or in use. This I see as an opportunity as materials become more expensive to extract on Earth, we would likely see space recycling becoming popular, especially as reusable rockets are becoming more prevalent.

I also think we haven’t finished with the moon, I’m hoping some sort of research base gets constructed there, which I’m sure would lead to more construction way into the future. Maybe all the land on the moon people were buying could come in useful.

5 Likes