Climate change and investing

Just interested in people’s thoughts about BYND. With Australia unfortunately proving to be the canary In the coal mine when it comes to climate change many are thinking about how they can make changes to prevent the climate disaster looming. Many are turning to veganism as some estimates suggest it can reduce your individual carbon footprint by about 48% (source - New Scientist)

Could be a great time to invest in these types of shares. What do you guys think?

3 Likes

You may be onto something @Al_Wallace but right now BYND looks to be over valued. There are, of course competitors to check into. Watching these companies for now would be beneficial for future investing.

1 Like

I’d disagree a bit there Karen I think the market is ripe. The amount of people choosing meat free options is increasing daily and so the market place for this has so.much room for growth. I think it’s a buy and hold rather than a short term gainer for sure though. Similar to the CBD stocks. Potential is the key word here.

1 Like

I agree with most of what you said, except for the buy now. It looks to pull back a bit more…then buy…any other Pynksters care to weigh in?

1 Like

We’ll…yeah, I agree with that to an extent. It might pull back a bit but even buying at current price I’d say you’d see great returns over the next few years

1 Like

Some grocery chains are coming out with other brands of imitation meat to compete with Beyond…that’s good news for investors…we need to research all the players in this field.

1 Like

Love this announcement from BlackRock on ESG, as the world’s biggest money manager this is a positive step forwards:

"Fink said BlackRock will vote against boards and management that fail to a) account for climate risks or b) make progress on sustainability plans. Other BlackRock strategies are to…

1. Pressure index providers to add more sustainable benchmarks
  2. Double its sustainable exchange-traded funds (ETFs) to 150
  3. Sell $500 million worth of investments in thermal coal producers by the middle of 2020"

Is this enough though or more corporate greenwash?

4 Likes

something about these big money manager always wants me to take these announcements with a healthy pinch of salt but, if true, that really a good start and I hope others will follow suit

3 Likes

Just reading through David Wallace-wells ‘the uninhabitable earth’ to say it makes for uncomfortable reading would be a horrible understatement but I’d encourage you all to.

It really brings home how important climate change needs to be.

2 Likes

Can #PYNK introduce predictions on carbon prices as well.?? Once people get to know the prices atleast they may create products over it so that it help prevent the climate change. Currently carbon credits or other carbon instruments are not in fungible form… so there is huge scope in that area.

3 Likes

Hi @MrHumble and welcome to the community :smiley:
If you want you can introduce yourself to others here

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @MrHumble. Nice to have another contributor giving us something to think about…Check out some of the other topics and chime in!!

1 Like

Interesting take @MrHumble, is carbon freely tradeable now, or is it a standard tariff agreed internationally?

1 Like

Carbon credits are an interesting concept but i believe them to be fundamentally flawed in that they really don’t go far enough.

the idea that companies are incentivised to reduce their emissions through having a limit in place is fine but the ability to then sell on those credits to other companies should they not produce as much emissions as predicted/allowed to other companies who can then produce more pollutants using these seems to me to be a bit flawed.

perhaps if these credits could then be sold back to the government who might then recieve some kind of grant dependant on how many they recoup might be better?

2 Likes

@MrHumble I realise that wasn’t really the point of your comment of course and iI agree it might be interesting to find out more about the trade price of these if only to raise awareness.

2 Likes

Hi Pynksters thanks for the warm welcome. My idea of prediction of carbon pricing is for two purposes:

1. Once the price of the carbon is available , it can be used in DEFI applications ( let’s assume DAI also accepts any Eth-carbon) or start-ups can create innovative products especially on individual carbon footprint with more fungible carbon based finance products.

2. It will also provide PYNK with an edge as there are only few places where prices of carbon is available. So by providing predictions on carbon prices , PYNK will become the most sought data provider for carbon prices .

4 Likes