A.I Technology in the 21st century NHS

We’re all familiar with A.I technology influencing our social media lives on the likes of FaceBook & Twitter (not always for the best either!), but as sure as the industrial revolution turbo charged technological advancement in the 18th & 19th centuries, then so too will the latest revolution of A.I in the 21st century in all aspects of life.

Take Medi-Care as an example, the NHS in the UK is reportedly able to save £1 billion in diagnosing just brain tumours faster and slightly more accurately than pathologists currently can. That’s just one medical discipline out of the hundreds the NHS performs each year.

The use cases are vast and ever changing for A.I tech that’s for sure, OK there will always be the dystopian overtones of the SKYNET :scream: but the real world benefits far out weigh the potential for human subjugation at the hands of your toaster! :wink:

Investment in companies exploiting this technology, as well as nanorobotics and nanotech, would have to make it into your porfolio at some level.

Interested to hear anyone’s opinion of the most beneficial application of A.I, (other than our own illustrious “ROSE” of course :rose:), that they’ve come across.

4 Likes

It will certainly be interesting to see how AI develops in real terms. I think it’s a double edged sword in some ways as it will start to take over many jobs and I believe there will be a period of correction where people will have to find new roles for themselves.

Areas where I think it will make a huge difference is finding and helping to stop nefarious activities online (terrorism, predators etc). Taking over or assisting in dangerous roles like firefighting. Space exploration and scanning space for indicators of threats and lifeform potential.

It will also be interesting to see how we apply it to our own intelligence through neural links and potentially allowing us to upgrade our own intelligence exponentially.

I wonder how we will deal with an artificial intelligence able to infinitely upgrade itself? Potentially making itself thousands of times smarter than any living person.

Elon Musk has spoken of how terrified of the potential of AI he is, do you think he is justified?

The genie is somewhat out of the bottle already so I doubt we can halt the wheels of progress now :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Me too…Neuralink could be both e very bad slavery tool or the final freedom for the human mind. I guess it is all in the hands of the developers. A.I. is the very same thing. I wonder how can you put good common sense into a piece of inorganic matter when the pieces of organic matter who are gifted with that, find hard to apply it. :grimacing::smiley:

2 Likes

But you could argue that common sense for a super human ai would be destroy the dirty, polluting over populated humans :hushed:

2 Likes

No no nooooo Aaaal!! A common sense for a super human ai would give to help in restore the environment and human bad practices by good exmple and good practices.
I know this because i am the very first super human not AI here on planet Earth.:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

It’s very much in the hands of the developers, scary thought when considering the ethics involved.
If Neuralink ever pioneered a two way system where instead of recording brain cell activity to relay to electronics outside of the body, they were able to feed the brain cells with whatever stimulus they required of the person, science fictions unwilling assassin right there! :exploding_head:.

1 Like

Hell yeah :astonished:. Unchecked who knows how A.I could evolve?
Not strictly on topic, but Dr Hannah Critchlow has spoken about when computers are able, the human mind could be downloaded onto the computer, from there what exactly you could exploit is anyone’s guess, clones that not only resemble the host but in effect are them! :brain::scream:

1 Like

This is exactly what i was thinking about. I always consider it to be a two way street. :scream:

2 Likes

That’s the sceptic in us mate :grin:.
Neuralink is a private company so I guess you never really know what they could be developing :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I reckon there is more advanced Ai than we are currently aware of

Will depend how its regulated in future as to how safe it will be,

3 Likes

AI in NHS will have its part in the future because it can speed up diagnose process.

There is worldwide shortage od healthcare professionals and it seems they are becoming overloaded with work, so there is definitely place for AI in that industry.
It is very convinient that everything for diagnosing in MRI, CT and whatnot is digital so it makes it easier to include AI in that part.
A doctor could just confirm that AI didn’t make a mistake and not go through every step of diagnosing every time.

What would also speed up things in medicine is to relieve doctors from writting so much, for example refferals for CAT scans, going to other doctors. Writting diagnoses and what to buy in pharmacy also takes a lot of time.
If AI can help in that department it would greatly speed up things.
I’m saying this because it looks to me that doctors are writting half of their time and that is not really their main job.

4 Likes

I live in the Pittsburgh PA area where self driving cars are being tested. The city has also started a program for ‘smart garbage cans’ to make garbage collection more efficient. We are also home to Carnegie Mellon University & Pitt where much AI is being studied,explored, experimented etc so I see AI all around me. The possibilities seem endless!!!

3 Likes